The primary goal during the winter is to prevent your water pipes from freezing.
Why? When the water in a pipe freezes, it expands and this can lead to your pipes bursting.
Here are some plumbing tips for the cold weather months:
- Disconnect hoses from outside faucets
- Insulate exposed outside faucets or pipes
- Allow inside faucets to drip slowly
- Open cabinets to allow heat more heat to reach the pipes
- Fix clogged drains
- Clogged drains cause standing water that can freeze and lead to burst pipes